Congratulations goes out to Jose Morales Mendizabal, ELLS’ Bilingual Student Liaison, for earning an Excellence in Tutoring award! Jose’s service to ELLS spans 3 academic years, in which he earned Dean’s List academic status and dedicated over 460 hours to ELLS. Jose’s contributions to ELLS include:
· Participated in the Colonial Academic Alliance Student Affairs Professional Exchange, visiting George Mason University in March 2010
· Modeled from a GMU program he witnessed on the CAA exchange at GMU, created English Conversation Club for English language learners to practice conversing with English speakers and discuss cultural differences and similarities. This program has been active over 4 semesters, meeting twice a week and attracting students who otherwise do not utilize English Language Learner Services.
· Participated in the LC Internal Program Review
· Represented LC and ELL at the 11-12 Academic Council Presentation
· Represented LC & ELL at CHOICES
· Presented a poster at the Colonial Academic Alliance Global Education Conference 2012
· Collaborated with University Advising to participate in outreach panels for Study Group students
· Presents ELLS programs to academic classes
· 460+ tutoring hours logged to-date
The annual Tutoring in Excellence award is in its inaugural year and honored 33 of the 600+ peer educators that the JMU Learning Centers have employed since 2006. Award recipients were presented letters of achievement from President Alger, for President’s List, or Senior AVP Randy Mitchell, for Dean’s List, and a letter of appreciation from the peer educators’ supervisor at a banquet held in the Montpellier Room on Friday, November 9, 2012. The recipients names are commemorated on an awards plaque that will be hung in Wilson Hall until the Learning Centers move to Constitution Hall upon its completion in fall 2014.
If you have had the pleasure of working with Jose, or if you are just meeting him for the first time, please join me in congratulating him on his award!